Sunday, December 21, 2014

My Music Timeline (Part 2)

...her first response was : "Why do you have me listening to this?" That took me out of my trance really fast. I couldn't even fathom . I was explaining to her how great this was and kept trying to prove that this album was amazing. It came to a point where I was just switching songs trying to please my friend. Then she just stopped me and bursted into laughter.  I literally hadn't heard this being said directly to me since like kindergarten, but while she was laughing she told me that "I was so white." I was extremely upset, but I wasn't going to let her know. It seemed stupid to trigger an argument over music, but at the time I was just really upset, and I couldn't realize that it was more than just music. Then she said she was bored and asked me if I wanted to go, and of course I said no. Then she left my apartment. Then I turned off then music. Then I cried. This moment caused the biggest change on my view of music. My brother walked back in and saw I had been crying and I told him what happened, he helped me realize what the real problem was. He said: "So what Not everyone will like the music you like. She a hoe anyway (I love my brother you guys.), while you are out here listening to music and 'being white', she's out there being nasty. Don't bother yourself about that too much like what you like." And then we started joking around or what not. That night I decided that I was never going to judge someone because of the kind of music that they liked, and that I would be open minded to any kind of music that came to my ears. And five years later this blog was made!


Before I continue with my music timeline I'd like to say a couple of things about that Regina Spektor incident. First my old best friend and I are still cool , that was really something personal..like I doubt she knows any of that ever happened when she left. And second, I'd like to explain why being called white used to offend me so much. It isn't because being white is bad. In my opinion white people should be proud of who they, just as much as black people. There are things that differentiate white people and black people (how we were raised, hair care, skin tone, family culture**), but how a person speaks the English language or a person's accent should not be one of them, and music definitely shouldn't be one. White people should be proud of who they are, and black people and everybody else. But when someone accuses a black person of being white or vice versa because of the music they like, or how they speak is the most offensive thing, because (in my own case) clearly I'm not white. clearly. My dad is from Africa. If I had any European genes in my gene pool from my mom's side, they are being blocked by Nigerian genes. So the person accusing me of  "being white" is telling me that I'm being trying to be someone or something that I cannot be. I am never going to be white. I can have half white babies if I get impregnated by a white guy, but I am never ever ever going to be white. And with that situation, I was being me to the core. Regina Spektor grabbed my soul. And if you are a science person, the music that I was hearing had my atoms going crazy.  So I was upset for being accused of being something that I wasn't.


But that's enough of THAT. So after all of that I began to look into Spektor more and I began listening to indie music much more. My middle school music library mostly consisted of Gangster rap, Raggae, Lauryn Hill, and Indie music. Then I got to high school and I made it on the drill team. And heard "Country Girl (Shake It For Me)". Going back and forth from Georgia to Oklahoma made it easy to take a liking to country music. Being on the bus, passing pastures and cows and farms in Mississippi, and Georgia, and Oklahoma, and Alabama, and Texas. It's the best experience in my opinion. SOME Southerners may have a little issues being close minded from time to time, their landscapes are the most relaxing in America and its gorgeous...in my opinion. Then I got into One Direction. Stop your judgemental looks right now. They aren't bad. They are just really popular, and have really catchy songs, and they came out when hipsters were poppin', so they get a lot of hate and aren't taken seriously a lot of the time. Now when they first came out I didn't care about those british-irish kids at all. All the girls on the drill team were raving on and I was like "BLAH. give me my old '00s jams back, please." and then two years later it happened. I got infected, and I couldn't hide it .My friend  made me watch a video of them, some funny video of them, and that's all it took. From them I ventured into other modern pop artists like Ariana Grande and Little Mix (I love little mix) and they broadned my pop section of the music library in my head. Also around that time, or a little bit before, an old friend introduced me to Iggy Azalea (pre-Work) and I liked her, and she sent me to this frenzy with independent female rap artists, and I liked her and Kreayshawn, and Azealia Banks (ironic because they hate each other apparently). The last artists that made a HUGE impact or shift on my view of music were the Strokes. My friend Adie told me to check them out and I did, and I forgot about them after that. Later on in the year I was looking at Silent Suicide videos, and I ran across their yolo video. And I was looking at they comments, and asn usual everyone was being nagtive, and they all said similar things like: "THE STROKES WERE BETTER YOUR RUINED IT!" "THAT WAS DISGUSTING, YOU GUYS RUINED A CLASSIC." so I had to go investigate these "strokes" guys. And it happened again. The same thing that happened with Regina Spektor happened with The Strokes, except this time when I told my best friend, this one totally understood how I felt. For the first time I had a legit favourite band. Most of the alternative music that were favourites in the past, were solo artists or duets. AND I LOVED EACH AND EVERY PART AND INSTRUMENT THAT WAS BEING PLAYED IN THE VIDEOS I WATCHED THAT DAY. Then I remembered that Adie told me about them, and I flipped out. And that's basically the end. Now I'm a music slut.

Sorry if it ended so abruptly, and sorry if it was too long, but you guys can't say I didn't warn you about the lengths of the posts on this blog. I'm tired of typing now, and I'm sick and haven't eaten all day..so..

SEE YA MY FELLOW MUSIC SLUTS!




Now Playing: Fell In Love With A Girl - The White Stripes


** Dending on the location and what a family is experiencing can effect the culture of that family, so sometimes shouldn't even differentiate races based on family culture either.

No comments:

Post a Comment